Thursday 26 January 2012

My Journey Into Radio

This Is Me, Amanda Meaghan at Radio Hope (Hope University )



Hello, this blog is all about my Radio Hope News Week. I am a mature student on a PostGraduate Radio Broadcasting and Online Journalism at Hope University Liverpool.
Now, for those who don't know what a  'News Week' is, its a real opportunity to have a go at putting into practice all the skills that we have aquired over the past year with our much respected tutors Gary Morrisroe and Paddy Hoey. I feel I should just inform the reader that this course has been specially designed by Gary as an attempt to address the diversity issue within the BBC and other media outlets. This specific programme is the only course in the UK  and we have students from all over the UK and abroad and I feel lucky that it is being run around the corner from where I live.

I am aware that the BBC is changing ....yes its moving to Salford Quays and hopefully this will bring with it a new agenda of change and our course will be ready with a fully trained group of diverse people. (In theory anyway)
I came onto this programme simply  because I wanted to change my career and at age 45 years of Brilliant age I am so glad I did. I actually used to read the news with Janice Long (great lady) 17 years ago and in that time the world of radio has changed dramatically in terms of technology and I believe Radio is making a come back despite the BBC cuts in Local Radio. Of course news will always be news, but the new journalist must be armed with the knowledge of social media, Adobe Audition and Burli which was not around when I read the news. I want the reader to know that when I joined this course a year ago I was a techno Virgin and NOW I am not.

My news week was a great experience and I know I have learned alot simply by doing.

“Tell me and I’ll forget, Show me and I’ll remember. Involve me and i’ll understand”
Confucius (551 BC-479 BC) Chinese philosopher.


My Co Worker was Jess whom I have known for ten years (Jess was an actress in my Award winning Play) and she is skilled in calmness and organisational skills, so we complimented eachother well plus she has a great sense of humour.

Being involved in this week was for me very exciting and yes there were times when I thought I would die, if I didn't get the desired peice out on time but I felt really alive and involved for the first time in years so I kow I am on the right journey and I have been on a few...misguided journey's that is. There has been many learning curves and challenges  in the news week and I aware of what could have been done better ...being impartial is a particular challenge, (still learning that one I'm afraid). My telephone interview with the Anfield food bank went particularly well (listen below), this is when you can either do a live or recorded interview) I felt really comfortable and passionate about this issue  because it resonates with how the cuts in social welfare and public job losses are impacting on the working poor in England.

 I noticed with myself when the pressure is on I will do what I have to do and 'Wing it' when I have to in the process, perhaps  being an actress has helped in working under pressure.

What goes into a News Week:

Working in a pair you have to produce, present and drive the desk of Four Shows and within each show we must produce a two way interview with a member of the News team and allocate them a specific story that is of  News importance. Also we have to organize a telephone Interview again making sure the relevance and importance of the story. We must also be aware that we are producing a local show so some Merseyside News Input is necessary.  Also, as if that was not enough, we had to be a broadcast journalist on the other 4 News teams so we had to write two ways (pre-written interview on a allocated news) for the other shows  and we had to source two interviews for our own show live or recorded. Also, we had to write two news bulletins using Burli nad Adobi Audition and using our editing and voice skills learnt on the Post grad. Of course being aware to present the news stories in order of importance.  All this must be ready for hourly news so the pressure was on.    

My favorite jobs on radio are presenting and two-ways, (Pre Written Interviews with either a social, political or Sports Correspondent ) I think I sound most as ease in these roles. Although reading and writing the news is fun I think I sound like a Sergeant Major and its not really for me.
Another aspect of radio which used to make me' heave in fear' was the desk....I have got better, in fact, alot better, I still get a little panicky but no longer want to burst into tears. For anyone who is thinking of coming into Radio Journalism but may be thinking that the technology is too scary, well I just want you to know that I was awful and I was terrified, but I DID it and I still cannot believe that I have come so far. Thats because of great teaching as well.


 I LOVED being part of the News Week and I work great in a team. I don't like being a boss (in this situation) but I do like being left on my own to write my pieces I reckon being a journalist can be a lonely place sometimes but I'm ok with that.


Here's a taste of my Best bits of Radio Podcast.









No comments:

Post a Comment